Friday, October 28, 2011

The Memory of Your Kiss



I hit the road at five o’clock.
An early morning haze
Settles on my windshield and
Then quickly runs away;
And I recall how swiftly, too,
Time passes like the mist
And leaves behind a memory
Of things time can’t resist.

That memory, a chain of gold,
Will bind your heart to mine,
Will warm my soul, and ride with me,
And stand outside of time;
Of all the things I take with me
That I will reminisce
Nothing is more treasured than
The memory of your kiss.

Only half an hour ago
You whispered in my ear
A soft “Good-bye” and, “I love you;”
And, “I will miss you, Dear.”
That memory will leave a trace
Running through my mind
Reminding me of all I have
That I must leave behind.

More than a memory, your kiss
Somehow still lingers there.
It brightens up the dark of night
And warms the chilly air.
Nothing in this world I know
Could make me more remiss
Than if I did not take with me
The memory of your kiss.

©Stan Sanford
February 18, 2002

3 comments:

  1. I wrote this as a country song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Steve; and thanks for following this blog. I will be following you on Poetry.com; only, in my job as director of Community Missions in a large downtown church, I have very little free time this season of year. --Stan

    ReplyDelete