Monday, October 10, 2011

You Shine

I never saw a sunrise in the mountains,
That didn’t nearly take my breath away;
I never saw a sunset on the ocean,
That didn’t leave me without words to say.
I never saw your face in the morning,
Eyes aglow and smile so warm and bright,
Or ever held your soft hand in the moon light,
And didn’t know that all the world was right.
You shine; you shine. You shine; you shine.

I never saw the first star in the evening,
That didn’t calm all my doubts and fears;
I never saw the soft glow of the full moon,
That didn’t make me want to hold you near.
I never heard your sweet voice singing softly,
That didn’t make me want to sing along;
I never saw you playing with the children,
That didn’t let me know your love was strong.
You shine; you shine. You shine; you shine.

I never heard the spring rain falling softly,
That didn’t set my worried mind at ease,
Or sat beside a stream in the mountains,
That didn’t give my troubled soul a peace.
I never smelled the fragrance that you’re wearing,
That didn’t stir a longing deep inside.
I never saw you walking through the doorway,
That didn’t fill my heart with loving pride.
You shine; you shine. You shine; you shine.

For my life is filled with so much feeling,
In everything I see and all I do,
That warms and lifts my heart to heaven,
And I know it’s all because of you.
I want to know if I can see you some day,
In the morning when I first open my eyes;
And touch you the last thing in the evening,
As I drift away to paradise.
You shine; you shine. You shine; you shine.

©Stan Sanford
November 8, 1995

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stan! I would just like to tell you that I read "You Shine" often. It is very cathartic to me. Could I ask you who this poem is about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your interest in "You Shine."

    It is about being in love, in the early stages of the relationship.

    It is a song. If you like you can hear in on my FB page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.s.sanford.

    ReplyDelete